It’s not uncommon to see TV sales throughout the year. Black Friday, however, is a whole different story, says Julie Ramhold, consumer analyst at comparison shopping website DealNews.com. “If you’re watching your spending, then shopping Black Friday is a smart move,” says Ramhold, adding that consumers are? “more likely to find a set that fits your wants and needs without coming close to breaking the bank.”
Pros say some of the best Black Friday deals have long been in electronics, which includes TVs, laptops and video consoles. “We expect to see early Black Friday TV deals at most of the big box retailers,” says Kimberly Palmer, personal finance expert at NerdWallet — this includes Walmart and Best Buy, both of which already have plenty of rotating TV deals.
Below are 7 of our favorite TV deals, and tips for making sure you get the best price.
- LG 86” 4K UHD Smart webOS TV
- Samsung 65” Class LS03B The Frame QLED Smart TV
- Samsung 75” UHD 4K Smart Tizen TV
- Hisense 75” Class U6 Series Mini LED ULED 4K Smart Google, TV
- LG 48” Class A2 Series OLED 4K UHD Smart TV
- Toshiba 43” LED 4K UHD Smart FireTV
- LG 42” C3 Series OLED
“This is an incredible offer for a big name brand and highly-rated TV,” says Ramhold. “In general, sets of this size are typically well over $1,000 or more, so to see such a massive TV discounted to less than that for Black Friday makes this a deal not to be missed.”
What’s more, Popular Science’s review says, “This TV is a very solid deal even for its retail price, but at $899 it’s an absolute steal. It offers full 4K resolution and a powerful image processor to upscale all your older content into UHD.”
- Cinema-sized 85”, 4K UHD smart TV
- 300+ free LG Channels
- Enhanced picture detail and improved sound from the a5 AI Processor Gen6
Popular Mechanics, a magazine specializing in science and technology, calls this one of Samsung’s most talked-about screens. “When you set the TV to Art Mode, the screen blends in with the rest of your home design, especially since you have the option to choose a bezel for the TV that matches your wood tones.”?
This TV also has a 4.6 out of 5 star review on Walmart with more than 783 reviews.
- Great for homeowners who want a TV that’s aesthetically pleasing
- Choose a screen display from 1,400 new and classic works of art when you’re not watching TV
- Customizable bezel and minimalistic design
- Quantum Dot technology transforms light into vivid color with bold detail
“If you have the room for a big screen TV in your home and budget, this is an excellent deal for a name-brand set,” says Ramhold.?
A DigitalTrends review, meanwhile, says, “Samsung is one of the best TV brands out there so you can trust in all its TVs. You get excellent picture quality for a 4K display.”?
An Endgadget tech guru adds, “The TV also fine-tunes and optimizes the colors depending on what you’re watching for the most true-to-life quality possible.”
- 75” UHD 4K TV
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and AirPlay 2
- Bright screen with high color contrast
- Stream Smart TV powered by Tizen
“This big 75” TV is marked down to $550 on BrandsMart.com,” says smart shopping expert Trae Bodge at TrueTrae.com, adding that “this deal will also be available on Amazon, but doesn’t appear to be live now. It has 4 stars and over 1,000 reviews.”
Among the highlights of this Hisense TV listed on PC Mag’s review are its impressively wide and accurate color performance, Google TV interface with hands-free Google Assistant, as well as Apple AirPlay support. The downside? “Slightly sluggish gaming performance,” according to PCMag.
- 75” ULED 4K TV
- Dolby Vision IQ adjusts to changing light in the room and the type of content played
- Mini-LED creates brighter images with greater contrast
- Built in Google Assistant, works with Amazon Alexa and Bixby
“This modestly sized OLED TV has 4.7 stars on Best Buy and it’s marked down $750 for Black Friday,” says Bodge.?
CNet’s review says, “This is a great price for a TV of this caliber. OLED consistently produces the best image quality in our tests.”?
- 48” OLED 4K smart TV
- Voice assistant built in with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- High color accuracy and contrast
- Enhance viewing with Filmmaker Mode, Dolby Vision IQ and Dolby Atmos for a home theater experience
“Mid-tier brands shouldn’t be ignored either, as this Toshiba set proves,” says Ramhold, adding, “For the price, it’s a great offer for a smaller set with smart capabilities and 4K resolution, so if you’re looking for a TV for smaller rooms, this is a great option.”
A review from CNet says, “The C350 series from Toshiba gives big-screen, physical form to Amazon’s Fire TV streaming system. From the fonts to the colors, if you’ve interacted with any Fire TV stick or other Amazon TV device, you’ll be fully familiar with this television.”
- 43” LED 4K smart TV
- Quality LCD panel with ultra HD 4K images
- Fire TV brings over-the-air TV, streaming channels and apps together onto one home screen
- 4 times the resolution of Full HD for crisp, clear visuals
“LG’s C2 series was our top TV pick of the year for 2022, so the new C3 series has a tough act to follow” according to a TechRadar review. “But it arrives with new HDR-improving picture processing, a pleasant look, a smart TV interface overhaul and a wealth of features that will appeal to both gamers and movie fans.”?
What’s more, PC Mag rates it 4.5 out of 5 stars and touts its “fantastic color and contrast, incredibly low input lag and slim, sleek design.”
- 42” OLED TV
- Dolby Vision provides extraordinary color, contrast and brightness
- Packed with gaming features and customizable settings
- Ultra slim design
- Quick Cards lets you group your favorite apps into categories using the Magic Remote to easily find what you’re looking for
How to shop Black Friday TV deals
It’s important not to get swept up into the Black Friday frenzy as not all TV deals are good. “The best way to be alerted to a good deal on the TV you have your eye on is to do your research in advance so you know which one you want. If you can be flexible on the exact product model, you’ll increase your chances of finding a deal,” says Palmer.
But how can you tell if you’re actually getting a good deal? It’s true that TVs are often discounted around the Super Bowl, but experts across the board say prices are generally their lowest on or around Black Friday. “It helps to know the regular price but if you’re familiar with the brand and it’s a reasonable price for a large set, it’s probably a good deal,” says Ramhold. “TVs have gotten considerably cheaper over the years, so it’s not unheard of to see 75” name-brand TVs from huge brands for $600 or less during Black Friday sales.”?
While the discounts on TVs during Black Friday sales are lower than other times of year, Bodge? says it’s critical to do your research. “They may not be well reviewed or have as many bells and whistles as other models,” Bodge adds.?
If you’re seeing brands that aren’t very recognizable, but are very cheap —?be cautious, Ramhold warns. “You get what you pay for and a $150, 50” set sounds great in theory but if you [end up having to] replace it next Black Friday or even sooner, it was probably a waste,” says Ramhold.